Total Pageviews

Sunday, 6 July 2014

Only D Brave - Capsule Hotel in Hokkaido!

Day 6 of Only D Brave 500 word  30 @ 30 challenge


Currently Happening

Just finished watching the Men's Wimbledon Tennis final!  Normally im on the tennis hardcore however this year it has taking a back seat wayyyyyyyy back to the World Cup.  If the footie was on today I may not have caught any tennis at all.   It was a cracking final between Roger Federer vs Novac Djokovic. Federer won the first set, Djokovic came back and won set two and three. A couple of consecutive breaks by both players in the fourth set gave Djokovic championship point. Federer broke Djokovic serve twice to bring it into the 5th set and final set.  It was a bridge too far for Federer and after a couple of breaks and break backs, Djokovic won the final game 6-4. It was an excellent match of tennis from two titans of the game.

10th February 2011

Capsule Hotel Check in

So after the struggle of locating the place, I was finally at my accommodation for the next couple of days, the Capsule Inn Sapporo!  My previous frustration quickly turned into excitement!  Even before I had reached Japan I had heard about the Japanese capsule hotel system.  Japan has this knack of miniaturising objects and making the most of limited space.  Capsule hotels are an example of this.  Like Ronseal it does what it says on the tin.  Capsule hotels have small capsule shaped rooms that you spend the night in. 

As mentioned before I was so excited that I was finally going to experience this!  I went to the check-in desk and they confirmed my reservation. I breathed a silent sigh of relief, it would not have been funny if it turned out I was in the wrong place like when I first hit Fukuoka 2 months ago.
So while checking in I was asked to pick a locker to put my shoes in.  Once my shoes was locked up I had to give the key to the desk and in turn they gave me another locker key which corresponded to a locker in the basement and my capsule number.  The premise was that your shoes was held as a deposit, while you was inside the hotel you would walk bare feet or with socks on, if you wanted to visit outside the hotel you would hand in your room locker key in exchange for your footwear.  For a land that is known for its cutting edge technology, this was a simple but effective system.

The room lockers were in the basement.  Width wise the lockers were extremely small, only 22 cm.  There was no chance it was fitting my backpack let alone my suitcase.  I was able to leave my suitcase out in reception so I decided to take the following approach. I removed all the valuables and three days of clothes from my suitcase and left the suitcase in thereception.  I put all the clothes in the locker plus valuables that i couldn’t keep on my person except the laptop and Ipad.   Everything else I placed in my back pack and took with me to the capsule.
For this hotel there were 5 floors of capsules each with a communal area. Floors 2-3 and 5-6 had about 40 individual capsules.  The fourth floor had capsules for at least two persons.  

As is the Japanese way the capsules were small but economical in using space.  There were no locks on the capsule, just a blind which you would shut when sleeping.  This is the reason for the locker in the basement to keep valuable safe.  


Inside the capsule is a mattress and bed sheets, a light switch, a mirror, a radio, TV and an alarm.  Everything you would need for an overnight stay.  I found it was quite spacious for person if the main aim is to just sleep.




However long you stay, you have to check out at 10 am morning and return after pm if you staying more than one night. I'm guessing it gives the staff time to clean capsules and the communal areas.  If you decided not to check out, or you oversleep, you pay an extra 1000 yen.

Japanese Word of the day - Kanojo -girlfriend



No comments:

Post a Comment